Summer Internship Objective:

Every year LeMay Restorations has at least one feature car restored for their annual car show in Tacoma, WA. This year we have two 1956 Powell's. Our goal is to have these cars restored and driven onto the show field on car show day, August 28th 2010. Will we complete these cars on time? ...

Keep checking this blog to find out!

Quick Note:

LeMay Restorations is a completely separate entity from the LeMay-America's Car Museum. The two Powell's are family owned and restored at their private shop. The museum is a not for profit organization.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

6 days and nights left

Well to say its been a roller coaster ride is an understatement. Its been more like a 24 hour endurance race at LeMan with only a few pitstops.

We're under the gun here at the shop getting these interesting looking vehicles done for their debut public appearance a week from today.

We got the engines today and we're going to set one in the truck tomorrow. We had a problem with getting the water distribution tubes out of the engines. And then it was just a process to find and get them here.

Everyone has been so gracious and helpful during this whole experience. Nancy has been hosting lunches and dinners for all the volunteers who help her prepare for carshow. I don't know how anyone can get back to work after we get full bellies though.

Not a lot of people think we'll get these cars done but we're pulling through and making leaps and bounds to get them done. What do you think? Can we get them done in time?

This was taken a little earlier in the week


Here is my unfinished cluster. Have all the parts now so that's my goal for tomorrow. I picked out the red to match the interior and Tom and I decided the dash should be Coat M instead of silver since the cluster's bezel is silver and wouldn't stand out.

Tom has been giving me a lot of painting projects this week which has given me a lot of practice. Especially with realizing that you can't always get a perfect paint job. Lately I've been priming or more recently Tom's been letting me paint base coat and clear coat (yay he trusts me!) and we've been getting a lot of fish eyes in the paint. We think something is contaminating our compressor because its happening with a bunch of different substances. We've been using fish eye remover. Tom is now letting me set up the gun to adjust the fan, air pressure (which is a big deal since you have to go with sound since we don't have a regulator), and needle adjustment. 

Jeremy has been moving around like a mad man trying to move around his area will all of us around him with bondo spreaders. He's been getting everything aligned, Denny made new fenders with a buck he made and Jeremy has been hammering out the wheel wells, welding, grinding, fixing and perfecting everything. Jeremy was kind enough to set up the fender for me to prime today. 

I also primed up two doors and sprayed some Coat M white on the finished door and the front and rear of the Ultra Van. The railings for the wagon and truck were sprayed silver and clear coated by me as well. Tom says I'm a natural at it and he seems proud of me. I think I really am going to miss the organized chaos of the shops and all of their interesting volunteers. Everyone is quirky in some way and I feel like I've fallen somewhat in line with them.

My car is in the shop and I'll be working with the mechanic to do the timing chain, gears, and harmonic balancer tomorrow. The mechanic was nice enough to offer me to help in his shop since he knows I'm going to school to learn that stuff anyway.

(this is our advertisement for the show. Its a 1922 Hudson Firetruck. Alicia sign letters and pinstripes some of our cars and she'll be recreating the "Dicks TV service" and other labels on the wagon. She also signed this truck freehand.)

One week to go, I'll be posting every night from now until show day so you can see how fast these things come together.


No comments:

Post a Comment