Summer Internship Objective:

Every year LeMay Restorations has at least one feature car restored for their annual car show in Tacoma, WA. This year we have two 1956 Powell's. Our goal is to have these cars restored and driven onto the show field on car show day, August 28th 2010. Will we complete these cars on time? ...

Keep checking this blog to find out!

Quick Note:

LeMay Restorations is a completely separate entity from the LeMay-America's Car Museum. The two Powell's are family owned and restored at their private shop. The museum is a not for profit organization.

Monday, August 2, 2010

August 2- Truck work almost done

Today went by really fast. I was out giving the rest of the gauge faces to "Signs By Tomorrow" for them to re-face with their vinyl decals. Then, I pretty much spent the rest of the day with the stainless steel. It's amazing how long it takes to get the scratches out of the metal without adding more scratches. After you wet sand it, you have to take it to the buffer, and if it still has some scratches you have to go back to step one.

Lately I've been wondering where my place is in the automotive restoration community, or even if I have one. It's been a real tough road going through school with a bunch of hormonal boys but after a while I seemed to get used to their comments. I felt weak and depressed this past semester at school and kept wondering if I should quit because this life isn't worth this deep sadness. I have figured out a few things during my internship and gotten some really good advice from important people in my life.

First, I figured out that if this dream of mine was easy, it wouldn't really be a dream. It would have just been something to do. You have to work for your dream, and thats what makes you happy, once you accomplish it. Part of accomplishing a dream is the journey it takes to get there. If the journey was easy the dream doesn't feel half as good.
Second, I have no passion for anything else but putting all those rust buckets back on the road.
Third, I'm a lot stronger than I let myself believe.
and last, I'm not a quitter.

So I'm going to hang in there
and be strong
...and happy

And that's whats been going on behind the scenes.

Tom gave me a great piece of advice the other day, and I really took it to heart. He said that this business is really hard, but if you can find your edge and be great at several things, you can make a living on cars. He also said its hard for a woman, so be smarter. He told me to read....a lot. Which is great because I love to learn about cars.

This week we're going to finish up the metal work on the truck so we can start putting it all together. Jeremy is going to be working on the wagon like a mad man while the rest of us skim coat some filler and make the truck a rolling chassis.
As I promised, the diamond in the rough, after it was washed.

No comments:

Post a Comment