Summer Internship Objective:

Every year LeMay Restorations has at least one feature car restored for their annual car show in Tacoma, WA. This year we have two 1956 Powell's. Our goal is to have these cars restored and driven onto the show field on car show day, August 28th 2010. Will we complete these cars on time? ...

Keep checking this blog to find out!

Quick Note:

LeMay Restorations is a completely separate entity from the LeMay-America's Car Museum. The two Powell's are family owned and restored at their private shop. The museum is a not for profit organization.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day 2- Grinding not scraping

Today was another rainy 8:30-5 day at the shop. Not that I mind, I'm used to the Northwest weather by now. I started the day cleaning and grinding rust off of the drive shafts for the Powell's. Got completely done with one but the second had some dents so we got another one from the parts Powell's. Talked with a few volunteers and I'll be getting some pictures of what the cars will look like done, and the history of the Powell's, so I'll be posting that up soon. I also organized some shelves with Powell parts so their easy to find later. The rest of the day was grinding off body filler from the Powell (truck) doors and body. I used several different methods. Some were with air tools, electric tools, scrapers, and even a Bernz-o-matic. Tom (the manager) is a really great teacher in the fact that he's honest. There was some rust I left on the drive shaft and he wasn't afraid to tell me to take it back and finish grinding it off. He's also a very patient person but I work hard to get the job done. He also doesn't hover over you to make sure you do something right, but he does check on me now and then to make sure I have everything I need. He also makes sure I use different tools to do the same job so I learn how to use and have knowledge of all the tools. I end up hurting at the end of the day, but I feel accomplished and I am even more in love with what I do, mainly because I get to see the work I do and so I get a sort of instant satisfaction from that. Before there was body filler, and now there isn't.....it may not look better but we're moving in a forward or positive direction.




Before and after I grinded the filler off. The door started to oil can and showed some trim and rust holes.

No comments:

Post a Comment