Summer Internship Objective:

Every year LeMay Restorations has at least one feature car restored for their annual car show in Tacoma, WA. This year we have two 1956 Powell's. Our goal is to have these cars restored and driven onto the show field on car show day, August 28th 2010. Will we complete these cars on time? ...

Keep checking this blog to find out!

Quick Note:

LeMay Restorations is a completely separate entity from the LeMay-America's Car Museum. The two Powell's are family owned and restored at their private shop. The museum is a not for profit organization.

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Day 3 - Sand Blast Deadline

I don't think I've ever been so caked with rust, body filler, undercoating, dirt, and cobwebs in so little of time. Lets just say, I started taking my showers at night. Today was the day to finish stripping the body of all its excesses: body filler, and undercoating. Tom said that Don would be by at 3pm to pick up the body, which made us all start scrambling to get torches and cutters to finish the body in time. I think it helped in the end because it made us reach our deadline...barely. It took me all day to find ways to get the torch and scraper to fit in all the tiny crevices where they sprayed that undercoating. I've become an in-house master of undercoating and the ways to get it off the body. I pressure washed the body which Tom sprayed with some heavy-duty-concentrated cleaner beforehand. And just as I finished spraying it down, Don shows up with the truck to take it away. Perfect timing! A became a little more than scared when they told me how the body was to be transported. We kept the body on the rotisserie and put the whole thing on the trailer. I learned how to use the tie-down straps though, which didn't keep my nerves in check going down the road. How did I spend the rest of my day? Scraping more undercoating off of the inner fenders. Today I worked from 8am-7pm.
Jeremy taking a picture of me, so you can actually SEE me working.


above: Loading the body on the trailer...That large hole on the rear right of the Powell is actually where a tray slides out to load up tools or fishing poles or whatever you need to keep handy.
above: This picture I got from Bill, who is a very gracious volunteer. It was taken in 1977 when Harold LeMay first purchased the car for $45. We're restoring a wagon too, which will have the "Dicks TV Service" on the side.
(Quick Note: Powell's are custom bodied, but I'm pretty sure they're made by Plymouth. Kind of like how a Mercury Cougar is a Mustang power-train. Bill also sent me the history of Powell, so I will be posting up a history post in the near future. Also, to see some finished Powell's here is a link to the Powell's Registry website.
http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/powellregistry/scrapbook.html

No comments:

Post a Comment