Summer Internship Objective:

Every year LeMay Restorations has at least one feature car restored for their annual car show in Tacoma, WA. This year we have two 1956 Powell's. Our goal is to have these cars restored and driven onto the show field on car show day, August 28th 2010. Will we complete these cars on time? ...

Keep checking this blog to find out!

Quick Note:

LeMay Restorations is a completely separate entity from the LeMay-America's Car Museum. The two Powell's are family owned and restored at their private shop. The museum is a not for profit organization.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Days 8 + 9 = Painting and more sanding... and a ceremony!

June 9 + 10

I have gained more confidence here in the past 2 weeks than in the past 2 years at school- or in my entire life. At LeMay Restorations, I feel much more comfortable with the people who are around me and their willingness to help me and being kind. They have helped me immensely. I filled some rust pits in one of the differential covers with body filler, guide coated it, and sprayed it with two coats of DP. I also filled some more cracks from the Plymouth steering wheel; whatever the high build didn't fill. I was a little unsure at first if I should primer so soon, but it actually helped me find out exactly where I was in the project. The wheel is almost sanded down again and ready for one more coat of primer tomorrow. Today I only worked a half day and sprayed one coat of DP on the frame I had painted before. But since then some dents were hammered out and it was sprayed with high build primer and welded in certain spots. After I sprayed and sanded for a little while, Jeremy and his mom, Susan picked me up in a friends 1949 Ford two-door sedan (it's a pretty rough car and the clutch is practically gone) and we headed to downtown Tacoma for the grand GROUND BREAKING CEREMONY for the LeMay America's Car Museum! After 13 years, Harold E. LeMay's dream has finally started to come true. Since I am a big believer in not giving up on your dreams I thought I'd post some pics of the event, instead of more pics of me sanding something.
Above: A friend of mine, drove his car to the groundbreaking in a caravan. Hundreds of cars and car clubs showed up.

Jeremy, his mom Susan, and me

Battery Bob, and guess who?

Battery Bob once again and my mom

Shoveling the dirt in front of a 1963 Corvette and a 1930 Duesenberg. Among the shovelers are Nancy LeMay, our Mayor, Governor, and the CEO of LeMay America's Car Museum David Madeira

No comments:

Post a Comment