Summer Internship Objective:

Every year LeMay Restorations has at least one feature car restored for their annual car show in Tacoma, WA. This year we have two 1956 Powell's. Our goal is to have these cars restored and driven onto the show field on car show day, August 28th 2010. Will we complete these cars on time? ...

Keep checking this blog to find out!

Quick Note:

LeMay Restorations is a completely separate entity from the LeMay-America's Car Museum. The two Powell's are family owned and restored at their private shop. The museum is a not for profit organization.

Friday, June 4, 2010

Day 4- Where school pays off


I'll try to keep this entry short since I didn't really do much today. The body went to the sand blaster so I puttered around doing little things Tom asked me to do. I worked on the computer trying to find Kwik-Poly and Lumb-R-Grips. The Kwik-Poly is for, get this.....STEERING WHEELS! I guess it paid off that I got the opportunity to work on a 1953 Studebaker steering wheel in paint class for practice. Tom was impressed that I knew what I was talking about. We couldn't find Kwik-Poly to fill the cracks so we went with some System Three which makes a new kind of two-part epoxy made in Washington! It's the consistency of body filler so it doesn't run like Kwik-Poly, but it also takes longer to cure. So far, the internship has been a wonderful experience. The only sketchy thing is that Tom has ADD....not literally I don't think, but he jumps around a lot. He'll take me off a job, so I can do something else, and then go back to what I was doing before. It gets frustrating, but I just suck it up because Tom is a really nice guy and he knows what he's doing. Plus it gives me a break from scraping old plastic off of a 1941 Plymouth steering wheel. Tom says it'll be nice enough to spray DP primer on the frame for the wagon (truck body and frame @ sand blaster) tomorrow (another good thing about paint class, I sprayed DP on a Stutz frame). I'm only going to paint part of it because we're chopping the rear end of it off and putting on a donor cars rear frame (ours was really bad). Today I worked from 8am-5pm with a few coffee and doughnut breaks.


Some shots of the Willy's steering wheel for th Powell. I'll add the '41 when it gets further along. For measuring exact amounts...I used these wonderful tablespoons. They just so happen to be the same ones we use to make coffee with. We don't like to waste things. We're high tech in this department.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katrina!

    It's good to see that you are becoming a master of all things paint and body! And I like the orange jump suit a lot...

    This is perfect. I'm really impressed!

    ReplyDelete