Summer Internship Objective:

Every year LeMay Restorations has at least one feature car restored for their annual car show in Tacoma, WA. This year we have two 1956 Powell's. Our goal is to have these cars restored and driven onto the show field on car show day, August 28th 2010. Will we complete these cars on time? ...

Keep checking this blog to find out!

Quick Note:

LeMay Restorations is a completely separate entity from the LeMay-America's Car Museum. The two Powell's are family owned and restored at their private shop. The museum is a not for profit organization.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Day 7- June 8th- Still more sanding + high build primer

Above: Plymouth wheel in high build; filled most of the rest of the cracks, but will probably need a few touch ups of epoxy.

Before I left work today I finally got the Plymouth steering wheel into primer. Since we don't have a paint booth to really paint in, we painted outside since it was decent outside. I sprayed 2 coats of high build on 5 wheels and the Plymouth wheel. I really missed that crew while I was away at school so it's nice to see some of those guys drop into the shop every once in a while. Les and Richard are some of the volunteers at the museum and shop and I haven't seen them since last summer so it was good to see them.
Tom is still patient with me while I get situated in the shop. Fixing the steering wheels is just practice for when the bodies come back from the sand blaster. Tom says I will get to do a lot of block sanding. He's really pulling me out of my comfort zone, which makes me nervous at first but I know it's so I can be well rounded when I get back to school. I never painted wheels before, or block sanded a car/truck/wagon/thing, and I've never used some of those tools but this shop is a really great learning environment and everyone seems easy to talk to or ask questions about things I may need help with.

No comments:

Post a Comment