Summer Internship Objective:

Every year LeMay Restorations has at least one feature car restored for their annual car show in Tacoma, WA. This year we have two 1956 Powell's. Our goal is to have these cars restored and driven onto the show field on car show day, August 28th 2010. Will we complete these cars on time? ...

Keep checking this blog to find out!

Quick Note:

LeMay Restorations is a completely separate entity from the LeMay-America's Car Museum. The two Powell's are family owned and restored at their private shop. The museum is a not for profit organization.

Monday, June 14, 2010

June 14- More sanding but with a kick

Final sanding is done on both steering wheels and they're finally ready for paint! Tom said if I find out what size the tires need to be for both Powell's I don't have to sand for a while. So I outsourced it to Jeremy since he's still at the shop. I hopefully am done sanding for a while! I also took care of the steering column for one of the Powell's. I sanded it and filled in the pits with some icing stuff. It sands down really nice. Tom put another coat of primer on it and it'll be sanded down one more time before paint tomorrow.

I did get the most amazing job today. Tom already mentioned to me that I'd be helping one of the volunteers with the wiring harnesses for both vehicles, but I also get to restore both instrument clusters! I didn't get too far on them today but I took initial photographs, disassembled the gauges from the overall housing and took the faces off one of each of the gauges (amps, oil, fuel, temp, speedo). I'm going to look for a graphics company who can scan the faces and fix them up or a company that sells decals so we can get that underway. Tomorrow I might be calling up my professor about some questions, but i'm going to do some more research and get some readings with a meter before I bench test. The internals are very clean looking (no cobwebs, burn marks, pieces falling out, indications of other people messing with them etc). Tom and the other guys in the shop seemed to be impressed with my knowledge of the gauges, so I think Tom is pretty comfortable with handing this project off to me.
I have 3 of everything which all shows similar wear to the faces. If I have decals put on, they'll go on the backside of the original faces. I noticed the Speedo gauges all look a little different so it'll be up to Doug and Tom which ones will go on what car. Each Speedo face has a different number of screws holding the face on and one of them has a different face design. That one also has a different back design. More research will tell me if its a different model and/or year.

2 comments:

  1. (from Austin)

    You are so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know there are printing companies that can scan the faces and reprint them as original, there is definitely one in California dont know the name. You may check with Classic Instruments in Boyne City, Michigan. The owner's name is Mike Stowe. They do repop guages mostly but I believe they'd at least put you in the right direction.

    Adam Hammer

    ReplyDelete